With so many New Mexico families still struggling to get by, job creation must become our first priority in Santa Fe, and I will work to create careers by supporting small businesses.
I will lead efforts to improve our schools, and restore confidence in state government.
I will also focus my energies on getting the resources our district needs for the roads, parks and community facilities that improve the quality of life for our families.
On the issues
Jobs and the Economy
No challenge is greater than how we create and keep jobs in New Mexico. I will work to eliminate unfair tax breaks for big, out-of-state corporations and use that money to support small businesses and provide tax relief for hard working families.
- Create new opportunities for small businesses to find the credit they need to grow and create jobs
- Eliminate sweetheart tax-loopholes that favor big, out-of-state corporations at the expense of New Mexico small businesses making it harder for them to compete and create local careers
- Reform the state tax code so that it rewards hard work, and incentivizes small business growth
- Reduce taxes on working families and New Mexico based small businesses by rolling back the 2003 tax give away to those making over $250,000 a year.
- Oppose any efforts to reinstate the regressive, anti-family state tax on food and medicine.
It’s time to adequately fund education from early childhood through college, so that our children are set up to succeed. New Mexico has the second lowest high school graduation rate in the country. This is unacceptable. To improve our schools, I support:
- Increase funding for K-12 education so that teachers have the resources they need to empower all of our students
- Emphasize class room spending and early childhood education so that no student falls through the cracks
- Early reading and math interventions so that we give students the tools they need to succeed, and don’t hold them back.
- Create clear pathways to college and technical school, so that every student can achieve their potential
- Build new partnerships with universities, the private sector, and government to generate career opportunities for New Mexico high school and college graduates.
I believe healthcare is a human right. All families deserve access to high quality and equitable healthcare. For those reasons, I support:
- Full funding for healthcare programs that serve our state’s children, and most vulnerable populations
- Opposing unreasonable rate hikes by insurance companies
- Increased access to hospital, trauma, and other healthcare services for west side residents
Government Accountability and Reform
Without true ethics reform to reduce the influence of special interests, reform on issues like healthcare, education and taxes becomes that much harder to achieve. New Mexico needs serious ethics reform that restores public trust in our government by curbing the undue influence of powerful corporate interests in Santa Fe.
- Mandatory prison time for public officials convicted of corruption
- No public pensions for those convicted of corruption
- Making those accused of corruption pay their own legal bills, and not New Mexico taxpayers
- Prohibit political contributions from lobbyists, lobbyist employers, and state contractors.